Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Contemporary Jewelry of Ela Bauer




While studying at the Rietveld academy in Amsterdam, Ela tried to get to the roots of what makes something into a “jewel”.
Through this process, her jewels became more of an object. They were statements about terms such as: preciousness, wearability, decoration.

"Nowadays, the definition of jewelry still occupies me in many ways, as a kind of eternal question. Maybe it reflects the difficulty of naming things and defining meanings anyway.

The organic, cell and tree - like forms in my work, express my preoccupation with the fact, that everything; situations, definitions, people…, is in continuous movement, continuous change.

The processes of change in the organisms; growth, development, and disintegration, are in my view the ultimate metaphors for this feeling. They have a great influence on my ‘organic’ form-vocabulary."
Ela Bauer

No comments: