Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Beth Cavener Stichter


"The sculptures I create focus on human psychology – stripped of context and rationalization, and articulated through animal and human forms. This body of work was developed in an effort to understand how my own desires, fears, and insecurities have shaped my sexuality.

For this work, I collected stories from individuals who were willing to confide their most intimate experiences relating to gender identity, fantasies, fetishes, and abuses. I wanted to understand how these complex private experiences haunt our public persona's.

The portraits created for this exhibition found their genesis in these shared personal accounts; I took their stories in and merged them with my own. The figures which have emerged use their animal body language in an effort to communicate their human natures: coy, desperate, lonely, and full of both fear and an unspoken longing."




Follow the rabbit

No comments: